Gwinnett commissioners approve next steps toward multi-use trail between Norcross an Lilburn. Courtesy Gateway85 Gwinnett

Gwinnett approves next steps in trail between Norcross, Lilburn

Gwinnett Commissioners recently approved several items that will help progress toward a multi-use trail connecting Norcross and Lilburn.

An agreement with GDOT for preliminary engineering to extend the trail up Hillcrest Road and Oakbrook Parkway includes additional federal funding of $251,885 with county matching funds of $62,971. GDOT will pick up 80 percent of the required local funds with 2017 SPLOST funds covering the balance.

The county also approved an agreement with GDOT to use $1.24 million in federal funds for right of away acquisition.

Engineering costs for the design of the trail will increase $314,856 as the result of the extension for a total of $670,789. GDOT is covering 80 percent with 2017 SPLOST covering the remaining 20 percent.

Gwinnett also entered into an agreement with Gateway85 Gwinnett Community Improvement District to complete a study of the Norcross to Lilburn Multi-Use Path to analyze the opportunity for a trailhead at Beaver Ruin Creek and Indian Trail Road. Gwinnett will contribute $25,000 towards the total cost estimate of $65,000. The CID will be responsible for all other costs. The county portion of this study is funded by the 2017 SPLOST.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X