Once again this fall, Cobb students will be some of the first students to return to school. The 2018-19 school year will start on Wednesday August 1.
The previous school year started on July 31, which prompted several parents to circulate a petition in opposition of the early start date. It garnered more than 11,000 signatures.
The board of education approved the 2018-19 and the 2019-20 calendars at an October 2017 meeting. Start dates are set in Cobb two years in advance and two school years at a time.
Here are important dates for parents, students and teachers to mark in their calendars for the 2018-19 school year.
• The first day of school will be August 1.
• Fall Break will be held the last week of September, the 24th through the 28th.
• Schools will be out for election day, Tuesday Nov. 6.
• Thanksgiving Break will be Nov. 19 through Nov. 23.
• Holiday Break will be from Monday Dec. 24 until Friday Jan. 4.
• Winter Break will be from Presidents Day Feb. 18 through Feb. 22.
• Spring Break is the first week of April, the first through the fifth.
• The last day of school is set for Wednesday May 22nd.
Here is the full 2018-19 calendar that includes early release days:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.