Students living in the Hopkins Residence Hall were evacuated before noon, campus police said.
Photo: Channel 2 Action News
Photo: Channel 2 Action News

Georgia Tech students evacuated from dorm; no gas leak found

Residents were evacuated from a Georgia Tech dormitory Thursday morning after a student reported smelling gas, officials said.

Residents of Hopkins Residence Hall said the fire alarm went off shortly before noon, and firefighters went door-to-door to make sure all students left their rooms.


 

Authorities on the scene at the four-story co-ed dorm identified the source of the smell after about an hour, Georgia Tech spokesman Joshua Stewart told AJC.com. He said it was caused by a power generator that contractors were using on the roof.

RELATED: Crews investigating gas leak near State Capitol

The natural gas in the building was shut off as a precaution, but Stewart said there was never actually a gas leak in the building. 

Students were allowed to re-enter the dorm at about 1 p.m.


 

Techwood Drive was shut down between North Avenue and Bobby Dodd Way during the evacuation, but all lanes have since reopened, school officials said.

In other news: 

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.