You don’t have to find a detour Friday morning now that a gas leak near the State Capitol is fixed, according to Channel 2 Action News.
Crews worked through the night to repair the leak, which was discovered Thursday evening, the news station reported.
The intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Washington Street was shut down as workers repaired a valve on a 6-inch natural gas line, Atlanta Gas Light spokeswoman Mekka Parish previously said.
Workers had to dig up the pavement at the busy intersection in order to locate the leak and begin repairs.
Crews were called to the scene shortly before sundown after a passerby smelled the gas and reported it to authorities, Parish said.
The gas could have started leaking Wednesday, Channel 2 previously reported.
It’s unclear if the Capitol or any nearby buildings were evacuated.
On Thursday morning, Georgia Tech students were evacuated from a dormitory for more than an hour after a student reported smelling gas.
It turned out the smell was caused by a power generator that contractors were using on the roof.
— Please return to AJC.com for updates.
In other news:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.