“Every year we go into session; we are caught in the middle,” she said.
The Vinson Institute will study the long-term effects that cityhood has on existing county services and tax rates, and it will analyze the best way for existing cities to annex homes and businesses from unincorporated DeKalb.
The contract could be extended if the committee decides it wants additional analysis that requires work beyond December. The members of the committee include four legislators, three county officials and three from the cities. They are:
- Sen. Emanuel Jones, D-Decatur, Senate delegation chair
- Sen. Elena Parent, D-Atlanta
- Rep. Karla Drenner, D-Avondale Estates, House delegation chair
- Rep. Renita Shannon, D-Decatur
- Zach Williams, DeKalb chief operating officer
- T.J. Sigler, DeKalb budget director
- Delores Crowell, DeKalb government affairs director
- Peggy Merriss, former Decatur city manager
- Plez Joyner, Stonecrest deputy city manager
- Christian Sigman, Brookhaven city manager