‘Shameful act’: Atlanta officer resigns after arrest in $30K drug raid

An Atlanta police officer resigned Wednesday, just days after her arrest during a $30,000 drug raid at a College Park apartment complex, officials told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“The Atlanta Police Department contacted Officer Iris Rowe and notified her that she would be dismissed from employment with the Department at an emergency hearing with Chief (Erika) Shields on Thursday,” Atlanta police said in a statement. “Officer Rowe chose instead to tender her resignation.”

In a handwritten resignation letter, Rowe apologized to the department for the “shameful act.”


Rowe was immediately suspended from duty after Atlanta police were notified of her arrest, officials said. She had been with the department since 2016 and was assigned to the mobile patrol unit.

Rowe remained in the Fulton County jail Wednesday on multiple drug charges in the Monday afternoon raid at Alexandria Landing apartments on Godby Road.

RELATED: Atlanta police officer, suspected drug dealers arrested in $30,000 raid

Two others — Jeremy Laye and Tony Robinson — were also arrested and are accused of selling drugs. Both men remain in jail. Laye also faces charges of obstruction of an officer and possession of a firearm by a first offender probationer.

College Park police raided the apartment after receiving a tip that drugs were being sold, Channel 2 Action News reported. Laye’s children were inside the home during the raid.

Officers found marijuana, pills, guns, ammunition and $8,000 inside the apartment. More drugs and two guns, including an AR-15, were found in the trunk of Rowe’s car, Channel 2 reported.

Investigators identified Rowe because she had her department-issued gun and identification on her, College Park police Chief Keith Meadows told Channel 2. Atlanta police gear and uniforms were also found inside the apartment.

"This was a shocker to go in and apprehend 'as a suspect' another officer," College Park police Sgt. Marcus Dennard told Channel 2.

Police are not sure of Rowe’s involvement. Authorities questioned her, but “she didn’t make any statements at that time,” Meadows said.

The next court hearing for all three is scheduled for June 27.