Burning smell prompts evacuation at Marietta hospital

A burning smell inside WellStar Windy Hill Hospital prompted Marietta firefighters to temporarily relocate people Tuesday morning. But no fire was found, and business was quickly back to normal at the facility.

Officials initially said a small fire was found inside the building. But investigators determined the smoke was the result of an electrical issue, according to Officer David Baldwin with Marietta police.

“A burning smell along with a report of possible smoke was all that was discovered,” Baldwin said in an emailed statement.

No injuries were reported.

The hospital is located at 2540 Windy Hill Road in Marietta, near I-75. The 50-bed facility offers long-term care and houses outpatient services.