Atlanta firefighters worked a scary HazMat situation involving a carbon monoxide leak at a day care.

16 kids, 3 adults at day care taken to hospital with carbon monoxide symptoms 

Sixteen children and three adults were taken to the hospital Monday afternoon after showing carbon monoxide symptoms at a southwest Atlanta day care, according to Atlanta Fire Rescue. 

A total of 17 children and four parents experienced the symptoms at about 3 p.m. at the G.A.T.E.S. Adolescent and Children’s Academy at 2929 Hapeville Road.

“When we arrived, it looked like children were having seizures, vomiting and losing consciousness,” Atlanta fire spokesman Sgt. Cortez Stafford said.  


 

The symptoms are not life-threatening, officials said. The day care’s owner, Cassidy Gates, told Channel 2 Action News that everyone who went to the hospital has since been released.


 

Officials believe the carbon monoxide came out of a gas furnace, Stafford said. The day care will be closed until the source of the problem is determined and fixed, Channel 2 reported.

Gates said the building has carbon monoxide detectors, but it’s unclear why they didn’t go off.

No other information was released. 

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas created when fuel is burned in cars, fireplaces, stoves and other similar items. When carbon monoxide gas is trapped indoors, it becomes poisonous for those breathing it, according to the CDC

Those with carbon monoxide poisoning will usually experience “flu-like” symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion, the CDC said.

— Please return to AJC.com for updates.

In other news: 

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.