Students and staff have returned to an elementary school in Atlanta’s East Lake neighborhood after the smell of gas caused a scare Wednesday morning.
No natural gas was detected inside of the building at Drew Charter School Elementary Academy, according to Atlanta Gas Light spokeswoman Mekka Parish.
Crews were called to the campus on Eva Davis Way after the scent was noticed outside the building, school officials said in a statement.
Technicians determined a malfunctioning part on a natural gas meter outside the elementary school was the source of the natural gas odor, Parish said.
While Atlanta Gas Light was on the scene, officials at the elementary school moved students and staff to the nearby Drew Charter Junior Senior Academy campus, the school said in a notice on its website.
Just after noon, Parish said the repairs were safely completed. Drew has resumed normal operations, school officials said in another post.
In other news:
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.