REVISED CHOCOLATE CAKE
Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 32 minutes, plus time to set
Makes: 12 servings
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60 percent cacao)
2 ounces milk chocolate
11 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
5 eggs, separated
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
1/2 cup sifted flour
Chocolate glaze, see recipe
Praline crumble, see recipe
1. Melt: Zap or heat both types of chocolate, the butter and 1/2 cup sugar.
2. Mix: Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla seeds. Whisk in flour.
3. Fluff: Beat egg whites in a separate bowl with remaining 1/4 cup sugar to glossy peaks.
4. Fold: Stir one-third of the egg whites into the chocolate batter. Gently and thoroughly fold in remaining whites.
5. Bake: Pour batter into a 9-inch spring-form pan. Slide into a 350-degree oven and bake until the cake is springy, about 32 minutes. Cool completely. Release cake and invert onto a 9-inch cardboard or cake-pan round.
6. Glaze: Set cake (on its round) on a wire rack. Set rack over a rimmed baking sheet, to catch drips. Pour all the warm glaze into a big puddle on top. With an offset spatula, nudge glaze toward the edges and let it drip down the sides. Sprinkle with praline. Let set at least 20 minutes.
Chocolate glaze: Chop 4 ounces semisweet chocolate and tumble into a medium bowl. Heat 1/2 cup heavy cream to boiling; pour cream over chocolate. Let rest 5 minutes. Gently stir smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon pecan bourbon, optional.
Praline crumble: Stir 6 tablespoons sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons water together in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Let bubble without stirring until syrup starts to color, 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir to a light brown, 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup toasted pecans. Scrape nuts onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let cool. Slide candied nuts into the food processor; pulse to a rubble.