R. Kelly on Tuesday announced a new tour, and Twitter —and Australian officials — quickly went in to “nope” mode.
The singer posted the tour locations — Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka — but no dates. The posts have been deleted from Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
In January, Lifetime premiered its highly anticipated docuseries “Surviving R. Kelly,” which delved into the singer’s history of alleged physical and emotional abuse of women.
And in 2017, — whose full name is Robert Sylvester Kelly — was accused of holding “women against their will in a cult” at his homes in two cities, including one in metro Atlanta.
“According to the story, the women who live with him are forbidden to contact their families, must ask his permission to go anywhere or communicate with anyone and are required to call him ‘Daddy.’ The people cited in the story also say that Kelly films his sexual encounters with the women,” The AJC reported.
After his tour announcement Tuesday, Australia's opposition Labor party released a statement saying the singer should not be permitted to enter the country, the BBC reported.
"Labor strongly supports the refusal or cancellation of visas of non-citizens on character or criminal grounds," the document said.
Shayne Neumann, the Australian shadow minister for immigration and border protection, has said the Labor party would be “seriously concerned” if Kelly was allowed into the country, the Guardian reported.
Australia's department of home affairs told the BBC it "does not comment on individual cases", but Australia has previously barred entry to people in similar situations.
Twitter users didn’t hesitate to express their opinion of the Grammy Award-winning singer coming to Australia.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.