By Fiza Pirani
- Supermoon, rising sea levels put Tybee Island access under water : According to Jill Gambill of the University of Georgia Marine Extension, the only road access to Tybee Island was closed this morning due to flooding. She reports that Savannah’s tide gauge measured the third-highest since records were first kept in 1935. Is this evidence of the effects of climate change? Read more.
- Gwinnett leaders deny request for Muslim cemetery : On Tuesday, Gwinnett commissioners voted unanimously to deny the development of a Bosnian cemetery. While traditional concerns about development like deflating property values and increased traffic were considered, there was also an undercurrent of Islamophobia. Read more.
- Trump still the story for this debate, but the terrain has changed : According to a CBS/New York Times poll that came out Tuesday, Ben Carson, neurosurgeon and Trump’s fellow Republican presidential candidate, is ahead of Trump nationally but within the margin of error, 26 percent to 22 percent. Read more.
- $370 million mini-city Halcyon pitched in Forsyth County : Developers RocaPartners and The Georgetown Company have acquired roughly 135 acres of land for a $370 million community of retail, hotels, offices and residences. The Halcyon project calls for 87 detached houses, 155 townhouses, 448 apartments and more. Read more.
- Cobb approves purchase of six buses for new transit system : On Tuesday night, Cobb commissioners approved the purchase of six buses to be used around the Cumberland area where SunTrust park is currently under construction. The Federal Transit Administration will cover 80 percent of the cost. Another $670,000 is to come from Cobb County Transit reserve funds. Read more.