In the last nine games, Braves starters have allowed a combined 40 earned runs, 61 hits, 20 walks, 15 homers and have a composite earned run average of 7.45. The worst starter has been Bartolo Colon, who over his last four starts has allowed 23 earned runs in 21 2/3 innings.
Starting pitching was expected to be a problem this season, but this has been even worse than expected. The Braves' staff ERA is 4.92 and their starters' combined ERA is 5.01. The rotation also ranks 26th in total innings, which creates the additional problem of a taxed bullpen. The bullpen was expected to be mediocre enough in normal circumstances.
Here's the last nine games by Braves' starters
• Mike Foltynewicz (at Milwaukee, 4-3 loss): 6 inn., 4 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 homers.
• Julio Teheran (New York, 7-5 loss): 6 inn., 6 hits, 6 runs, 6 earned runs, 3 walks, 2 homers.
• R.A. Dickey (New York, 9-7 win): 6 inn., 4 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 4 walks, 2 homers.
• Bartolo Colon (New York, 16-5 loss): 4 inn., 7 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned runs, 2 walks.
• Mike Foltynewicz (St. Louis, 10-0 loss): 4 inn., 9 hits, 7 runs, 7 earned runs, 2 walks, 2 homers.
• Julio Teheran (St. Louis, 5-3 loss): 5 inn., 9 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 walks, 2 homers.
• R.A. Dickey (St. Louis, 6-4 loss): 6 inn., 8 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned runs, 2 walks, 2 homers.
• Bartolo Colon (at Houston, 8-3 loss): 5.2 inn, 8 hits, 8 runs, 8 earned runs, 3 homers.
• Jaime Garcia (at Houston, 4-2 loss): 6 inn., 6 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned runs, 5 walks.
The ERAs of the five starters: Teheran 4.69, Colon 7.22, Dickey 4.29, Garcia 4.33, Foltynewicz 4.55
The question: Is it going to get any better?
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with the AJC's Jeff Schultz
and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes. Episodes also can be downloaded from
on-demand link on WSBRadio.com.
- Please, let's stop the Danny Ferry-back-to-Hawks talk
- Out past 2 a.m. before playoffs? So much for Howard's dedication
- Atlanta Confidence rankings: Falcons again at top
- Hawks' Ressler made right decision in end but quick GM hire is needed
- Ryan Howard hopes to get call up from Braves soon
- Tony Ressler's apparent U-turn: Hawks' shake-up may be coming
- Swanson handling things fine but Braves need to slow the promotion train
- Odds says Falcons will win NFC South again but record will drop
- Howard upset at benching and this homecoming seemed doomed from start
- Hawks' quick playoff exit affirms change is needed
- If McKinley is as good as he is emotional, Falcons chose well
- Falcons' drafts have become comfortable days since Dan Quinn's arrival
- Draft day blog: Falcons, Quinn still need to be thinking about defense
- Mike Budenholzer has reaffirmed the obvious --he can coach
- Credit to Kirby Smart for making right decision quickly on recruit
Exclusive: Tony Ressler says he makes final decisions, plans no changes in front office
- Jacon Eason improving but spring game isn't time for deep analysis
- Falcons looks set up for future but payroll likely to become a problem
- Mixon off Falcons' draft board; team still uncertain about Freeney return
- Inciarte finally filling Braves' void left by Andruw Jones
- In Braves and Falcons stadium battle, Blank's tank is stuck at start line
- Hawks are in playoffs and few seem to care -- that's a problem
- When Buzz wears off, Braves will go as far as pitching carries them
- Chipper Jones: Watch for home runs in Braves' new stadium
- Julio Teheran, best the Braves have, struggles but wins on opening night
- Bobby Cox built Braves first time, he was right man to honor with statue
- Wizards' Wall, Beal present problems for Hawks in playoff series
- Sergio Garcia: A great Masters story we didn't see coming
- Jordan Spieth proving he's as resilient as he is good
- About Bubba Watson, his 'joke' and his 'love' for journalists
- Masters mystery: What has happened to Bubba Watson?
- Dustin Johnson and Masters have a day to forget
Podcast blog: R.E.M.'s Mike Mills on Masters, sports, music and more