Q&A on the News

Q: Who is eligible for Veterans Affairs medical benefits?

—Bob Blaylock, Atlanta

A: Individuals who "served in the active military service and were separated under any condition other than dishonorable," may qualify for VA health care benefits, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website (va.gov).

Those include current and former Reserves or National Guard members who were called to active duty by a federal order and completed the full period of service in active duty. For most veterans who enlisted after Sept. 7, 1980, or who entered active duty after Oct. 16, 1981, the minimum duty requirement is 24 continuous months – or the full period for which they were called to active duty.

The requirement may not apply to “Veterans who were discharged for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, for a hardship or ‘early out,’ or those who served prior to Sept. 7, 1980,” according to the VA website. Veterans’ family members are not eligible for VA care.

Q: I’ve seen numerous articles on the police officer who was killed in Griffin. Where can you contribute to a fund that will help his wife and seven kids?

—Daniel Murphy, Fayetteville

A: You can contribute to the Griffin Police Department's fund for officer Kevin Jordan at any Regions Bank. You also can contribute to a fund on the crowdfunding website gofundme.com at www.gofundme.com/9q43ss.

Jordan was killed on May 31. His funeral is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. June 9 at Oak Hill Baptist Church in Williamson, to be followed by a procession to Westwood Garden Cemetery in Griffin.

Andy Johnston wrote this column. Do you have a question about the news? We’ll try to get the answer. Call 404-222-2002 or email q&a@ajc.com (include name, phone and city).