8 Years After Swallowing Snail on Dare That Left Him Paralyzed, Man Dies

Man dies 8 years after swallowing snail on dare that left him paralyzed

>> Read more trending news 

Student athlete and rugby player Sam Ballard, 28, who was 19 when he ate the snail in 2010, was paralyzed after he was infected with rat lungworm, a rare parasitic infection linked to the snail, according to the Independent.

Ballard fell into a coma for 420 days after developing a type of meningitis, which most people recover from, but he didn’t, suffering a severe brain infection instead, Sky News reported.

He was left paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair.

>> Trending: 17 rattlesnakes found in West Virginia man’s home; he’s accused of taking them from national forest

He died after years of medical complications.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X