A child uses a splash pad in Phoenix to stay cool. A man in Arizona is blaming the water in a splash pad for infecting him with flesh-eating bacteria, but the pad operator disagrees.
Photo: Ross D. Franklin/AP
Photo: Ross D. Franklin/AP

Man blames case of flesh-eating bacteria on Arizona splash park

An Arizona man is blaming a bout of flesh-eating bacteria on a splash pad at a Peoria park.

>> Read more trending news

Jonathan Daggett, 29, said his thigh swelled up a couple days after visiting the park two weeks ago, he told KPHO, and he said he was shocked to learn he had developed a case of flesh-eating bacteria.

Doctors rushed him into surgery and caught it early. He also had to undergo dialysis.

“Some people come out as amputees. Like, my leg could have been cut off. So it could have been a lot worse,” Daggett said, according to KPHO.

Daggett is now recovering from the illness, but wants to warn others about what happened to him.

In the meantime, officials say the water in the splash pad is not recirculated, but is tap water, KPHO reported.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X