A judge in New York ruled Thursday to allow the case against Harvey Weinstein to move forward after the embattled Hollywood producer’s attorneys argued the case had devolved into chaos, according to multiple reports.
Judge James Burke on Thursday denied a motion to dismiss charges against Weinstein, 66, and scheduled a pre-trial hearing in the case for March 7, CNN reported.
Weinstein’s lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said outside the courthouse Thursday that he remained confident his client would be “completely exonerated,” and dismissed Thursday’s decision as a “technical ruling on the law,” The Associated Press reported.
"We intend to vigorously defend this case to the best of our ability," Brafman said. "It does not in any way suggest that the case against Mr. Weinstein is going to end badly."
Weinstein's attorneys argued in court filings that the case had been "irreparably tainted" by a detective's alleged coaching of a potential witness and one of the accusers. They also said the grand jury should have been shown evidence that Weinstein had exchanged friendly emails with his two accusers after the alleged attacks.
Prosecutors, however, said there is ample evidence to move the case to trial, even after part of the case was dropped in October.
Weinstein turned himself in to authorities in May to face charges including rape, sexual abuse and sexual misconduct.
Weinstein is accused of raping a woman in a hotel room and forcing another to perform oral sex in his apartment, according to the AP. Weinstein has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex.
Several celebrities have accused Weinstein of various inappropriate, sexual acts. Their speaking out sparked the #MeToo movement.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.