It’s only been established as its own city since 2006, but Milton has its fair share of history.
Nevertheless, residents and visitors to the city in north Fulton County might not have known that. There were very few landmarks scattered around that spoke to the area’s history.
Now, folks living in Milton or just driving through will see more historic markers about the city’s history. During the month of March, 28 markers were installed to commemorate historic people, events or places in the city’s history.
City staff and citizen volunteers worked with designers from Cooper Carry to design the markers and local manufacturer CanAm Signs & Imaging to produce them. The markers are made of cast aluminum and feature raised bronze letters on a black background. The markers can be found mounted on posts or on the sides of buildings.
Such a sign was made for and constructed at the Willis Cass Tucker, Jr. home, which was built in 1889 on a plot of land acquired through a lottery of Cherokee Indian lands. Tucker sold the home and 30 acres of land to his son in 1907 for $175, according to the marker.
The history project was led by a group of residents — Joan Borzilleri, Norman Broadwell, Bill Lusk, and Bob Meyers — who worked over the last year to identify historic spots in the city, conducted research and wrote the text for the signs.
The volunteers are now working with the city to develop a history room in Milton’s city hall, and to make a map of the markers for the city’s website.