The city of Powder Springs and the Downtown Development Authority will unveil the new Town Center design at an Open House in December.
Hours are 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 11 at the Ron Anderson Recreation Center, 3820 Macedonia Road, Powder Springs.
The town center increasingly will become “an active and dynamic” mixed-use center, providing an increased variety of housing options while also expanding the array of retail, commercial and employment choices, according to the city’s 2017 Comprehensive Plan.
The improvement of the downtown has been a topic of discussion and planning since the adoption of the 1991 Comprehensive Plan and the 1996 Community Enhancement Master Plan, according to the city’s Economic Development Director Stephanie Aylworth.
Aylworth supplied this list of accomplishments:
- 1998 Wildhorse Trail with Downtown Connection
- 2000 Lucille Trail Phase I: Downtown Connection and Downtown sidewalks
- 2001 Gateway and wayfinding signage to Downtown
- 2002 Dillard Trailhead with Downtown Connection
- 2003 LCI study: Downtown Redevelopment Study Area
- 2003 Marietta Street Streetscape in Downtown
- 2004 Lucille Trail Phase II: Ship Road and sidewalks to Downtown
- 2006 Comprehensive Plan: Redevelopment of Downtown in all Short-Term Work Plans
- 2008 Strategic Plan: Downtown Focus
- 2010 Lewis Road improvements to the Downtown
- 2012 Town Center road improvements
- 2015 Historic Bodiford House renovation for relocation of the Seven Springs Museum in Historic Downtown
- 2015 LCI update: examine continued viability of downtown redevelopment
- 2017 Comprehensive Plan: Redevelopment of Downtown in all Short-Term Work Plans
- 2017 Downtown Development Authority and city purchased development properties
- 2017 Downtown Development Authority and city Open House and RFPs for anchor breweries and restaurants
Information: CityOfPowderSprings.org/560/Economic-Development, SpringsInMotion.com, ComeToPowderSprings.org.