Henry leaders to discuss upcoming SPLOST during special-called meeting

Henry County Commissioners and the leaders of the south metro community's four cities will meet Thursday to discuss the upcoming SPLOST that residents will vote on this fall.

The joint meeting, which will include Stockbridge, Hampton Locust Grove and McDonough, will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday at the County Administration Building, 140 Henry Parkway, McDonough, GA, 30253.

Participants will discuss the county’s fifth Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax or SPLOST, which is expected to raise $245 million over six years. The county will receive 75 percent of the funds while the cities will share the remaining 25 percent.

SPLOST is not an additional sales tax but a continuation of the current penny sales tax, the county said.