The Chamblee City Council recently passed a Clean Air Ordinance, which among other things does the following in the City of Chamblee:
- Bans smoking within: 1) Fifty feet of any outside entrance, operable window, or ventilation system of a common area, public place, place of employment or outdoor recreational public place. 2) Fifty feet of any outdoor seating or serving areas of restaurants. 3) Fifty feet of any service line.
- Bans smoking in a public park: this means any public park, playground, greenspace, plaza or outdoor recreation area maintained and operated by the city.
- Bans smoking at a place of employment: this means any enclosed area under the control of an employer which employees frequent during employment including, but not limited to, work areas, restrooms, hallways, employee lounges, cafeterias, snack bars, conference and meeting rooms, lobbies and reception areas.
- Smoking is also prohibited in buildings and vehicles owned or leased by the City of Chamblee.
- Bans smoking in an outdoor recreational public place: this means any outdoor area of a place where the public is invited or where the public is permitted that is used or intended to be used as a recreational area.
- Bans smoking in a common public place: this means any enclosed area to which the public is invited or in which the public is permitted, including common areas of apartments, townhomes, etc.
- Bans smoking in any public places such as grocery stores, pharmacies, dry cleaners, banks, hotels, restaurants and other stores that sell merchandise.
The definition of smoking means inhaling, exhaling, burning or carrying any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, e-cigarette, oral smoking device, pipe or any other lighted or heated product for inhalation, in any manner or any form, according to the press release. This includes vaping.
Exceptions include: retail tobacco stores, hookah bars and lounges, adult entertainment establishments, designated smoking rooms at hotels and motels and outdoor areas of places of employment, except where owners declare a smoke-free environment.
Full text of the ordinance can be found at: http://chambleecityga.iqm2.com/Citizens/default.aspx.
Information: www.chambleega.gov or 770-986-5010.