Police are targeting a Buckhead nightclub that's been the scene of two murders in just two months.

Atlanta police fight to close Buckhead nightclub after two homicides

Atlanta police are trying to get the liquor license pulled from a Buckhead nightclub that was the scene of two homicides in 10 months.

Police raided Level V in northwest Atlanta and shut it down after discovering the owner was operating the business without a state liquor license. Investigators seized more than 442 bottles of beer and 411 bottles of liquor during the July 27 raid, police said.

Police will argue Level V’s alcohol license should be revoked during an Aug. 20 hearing before the city’s License Review Board.

“Addressing the business and its illegal activity is an effective method of reducing illegal activity in and around the area,” said Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos.


Persons of interest sought after deadly shooting near Buckhead shopping center

Police say Buckhead nightclub performer shot, killed bystander during fight

Super Bowls bookend the fall and rise of Buckhead

During the raid, Atlanta police arrested manager Sherika Culbreath for running the business without a liquor license. Days later, police arrested nightclub owner Terrence Herron on the same charge — his fifth arrest for the offense, Atlanta police said.

The business was issued a temporary liquor license by the state on Aug. 7, according to a Georgia Department of Revenue spokesman.

DeWayne Martin, an attorney representing Level V, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution the business has been operating legally since Thursday.

“I am in the process of investigating the business operation and will advise my client on its legal option with respect to any legal adverse action that could be taken by the city of Atlanta with regard to its liquor license,” Martin said.

The Tula Street nightclub appeared on police radar July 12 when a patron was killed outside the business. Police said two groups were fighting when the man was shot. The man died at Piedmont Hospital. Police said the victims’ acquaintances are not cooperating with the investigation. No arrests have been made.

On Oct. 5, a man was shot outside the nightclub after a fight in the parking lot. He was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital where he later died. Atlanta police later arrested Anthony Parkman, who remains in the Fulton County Jail facing murder and criminal damage to property charges.

Under city code, a business can have its liquor license revoked if the business fails to provide a safe environment.

“Our investigators will continue to monitor this location for additional violations and we remain committed to addressing the illegal operation of businesses inside the city,” Campos said.

Like Intown Atlanta News Now on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.