Atlanta Audubon Society elects 3 new members to board of directors
Atlanta Audubon Society birders (from left) Joe Cullen, Joy Carter, Stella Wissner and Mei-Jing Bernard look for birds in Constitution Lakes Park off Moreland Avenue during an Intown Atlanta Christmas Bird Count. (Photo by Charles Seabrook)
Leslie Edwards, Evonne Blythers Lapsey and Ellen Macht were elected for three-year terms, beginning Jan. 1. They were elected on Dec. 9 during an annual meeting at Manuel’s Tavern, a press release said.
Edwards holds a PhD in geography from the University of Georgia and has retired after serving on the faculty of the Department of Geosciences at Georgia State University. Lapsey is a park ranger/naturalist with DeKalb County Recreation, Parks & Cultural Affairs and the director and founder of the Edge of Night Camping Club. Macht is one of the founders of Food Well Alliance and has decades of experience in corporate and investment banking, mergers and acquisitions, nonprofit management and as a nonprofit board member.
The organization also welcomed a group of advisers with knowledge in the fields of conservation and ornithology, the study of birds.
Esther Stokes, board chair, said the new board members and advisers will “bring a wealth of talents and experiences to the Board that will help Atlanta Audubon fulfill its mission of building places where birds and people thrive.”
The advisers include:
• Marcia Bansley, founder of Trees Atlanta;
• Giff Beaton, author of “Birding Georgia;”
• Mark Berry, vice president of environmental affairs at Georgia Power;
• Raphael Bostic, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta;
• Dr. Robert Cooper, professor of wildlife biology at the University of Georgia’s Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources;
• Stacia Hendricks, naturalist manager at Little St. Simons Island;
• John Pruitt, retired WSB TV anchor.
Additional Atlanta Audubon board members include Craig Bell, Charles Bowen, Gina Charles, Linda Disantis, Roarke Donnelly, Angelou Ezeilo, Shannon Fair, Jairo Garcia, Melinda Langston, Charles Loeb, Ellen Miller, Rusty Pritchard, David Scaefer, Esther Stokes, Bowen, Gina Charles, Ellen Miller, Charles Loeb, Rusty Pritchard, Michael Wall and Amanda Woomer.