Gwinnett appears to reverse on-site work summons

Caption
A memo released Tuesday afternoon by Gwinnett County Public Schools looks at if the district is taking another look at its directive that teachers and other staffers return to work in school buildings.

A memo released Tuesday afternoon by Gwinnett County Public Schools looks at if the district is taking another look at its directive that teachers and other staffers return to work in school buildings.

Just as Gov. Brian Kemp declared the shelter-in-place mandate had been lifted for all but the medically fragile, Gwinnett leadership had sent a memo to principals with a timeline to return faculty to on-site duties.

Almost immediately, there was a backlash.

Journalists at The Atlanta Journal Constitution were bombarded with messages via phone, text and social media decrying the summons.

Today Gwinnett indicated that it will make changes to the new rules that were set to go into effect Wednesday.

“On Friday, May 1, Gwinnett County Public Schools released its plan to return employees to work sites. As has been shared, the district does need to close out the school year and some of that work does have to take place on-site. That said, we have received feedback from teachers and others who shared concerns about returning to the work site at this time. That feedback has led district leaders to consider adjustments to the return-to-work site plan. Staff members are reviewing possible changes that would allow the district to successfully close out the school year while being responsive to employees’ concerns. It is anticipated that a revised plan will be announced tomorrow,” said spokeswoman Sloan Roach in a written statement.

Return to ajc.com for more details.

About the Author

ajc.com

Editors' Picks