WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former Vice President Kamala Harris, a senior White House official said on Friday.
Former vice presidents typically get federal government protection for six months after leaving office, while ex-presidents do so for life. But then-President Joe Biden quietly signed a directive that had extended protection for Harris beyond the traditional six months, according to another person familiar with the matter. The people insisted on anonymity to discuss a matter not made public.
Trump, a Republican, defeated Harris, a Democrat, in the presidential election last year.
The move to drop Harris' Secret Service protection comes as the former vice president, who became the Democratic nominee last summer after a chaotic series of events that led to Biden dropping out of the contest, is about to embark on a book tour for her memoir, titled “107 Days.” The tour has 15 stops, including visits abroad to London and Toronto. The book, which refers to the historically short length of her presidential campaign, will be released Sept. 23, and the tour begins the following day.
It is not unusual for Secret Service protection to continue well beyond the statutory six-month window, particularly when former officials face credible and ongoing threats. But Trump’s moves have stood out both for timing and for targets.
During Trump's second presidency, he repeatedly has cut off security for figures who have fallen from favor, including his onetime national security adviser John Bolton and members of Biden’s family, including the former president’s adult children. The decision to strip Harris of protection is certain to raise alarms among security experts who view continuity of protection as essential in a polarized climate.
A senior Trump administration official said an executive memorandum was issued Thursday to the Department of Homeland Security ending Harris' security detail and security services. Those had been extended from six to 18 months by the Biden administration, so they would have ended in July 2026, but now they will be terminated on Monday.
While she lost to Trump last November, Harris is seen as a potential candidate for 2028, and she has already announced she will not run for California governor in 2026. Harris is also a former senator, California attorney general and San Francisco district attorney.
Last year was a particularly politically charged environment with Trump facing two assassination attempts, and the Secret Service played a crucial role in protecting the now-president.
The news of the security revocation was first reported by CNN.
___
Gomez Licon reported from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
The Latest
Featured