» RELATED: 9 weight loss tips for busy nurses
Body image issues can affect anyone, she said. “It does not discriminate.”
Thankfully, however, her department hasn’t seen a large number of nurses with body image issues.
“We haven’t seen it as much, knock on wood,” she said. This may be because nursing is a very diversified setting, with people of all shapes and sizes. Whatley-León also said that nurses are in a position to advocate for body positivity.
However, this doesn’t mean that nurses are exempt from body image issues.
“I definitely think that nurses are impacted by it,” she said.
» RELATED: The watery way nurses can reduce pain and improve fitness
She suggested the following ways for nurses to love their own bodies while fostering an atmosphere of body positivity:
- Practice good self-care by, for example, making sure that you take time to eat.
- Realize that your worth and self-confidence shouldn't be based on your looks.
- Practice positive self-talk and thinking.
- Wear clothes that you feel good in.
- Exercise and find other healthy hobbies.
- Celebrate your body with an activity like dancing if you feel comfortable doing that.
If you develop problems, seek out professional care.