Here are my favorite Super Bowl props that are posted with online oddsmaker Bovada or in some Las Vegas casinos. (Odds of the more mainstream variety have New England favored by three points over the Falcons, with the over/under set at 58.5 points.)
• Over/under for the length of the national anthem, sung by Luke Bryan: 2 minutes, 9 seconds.
• Luke Bryan's pants: Blue jeans (1-2) is a favorite over any other pants or shorts (3-2).
• Over/under on how many times "Trump" will be said during the broadcast: 1.5.
• Over/under on how many times "Matty Ice" will be said during the broadcast: 2.
• Over/under on how many times Gisele Bundchen (Tom Brady's wife) will be shown during the broadcast: 1.5.
• Lady Gaga’s hair color during the halftime show: blonde/yellow: 1-1.7; brown 2-1; green 10-1; pink 15-1, white 15-1, blue 15-1, purple 20-1, orange 20-1.
• Which coach will be mentioned by name first after the opening kickoff, Dan Quinn or Bill Belichick? (Even odds.)
• What color drink will be poured on the winning team's coach: clear 3-1; green 3-1; orange 3-1; red 6-1; blue 15-2; purple 12-1.
• Who will the Super Bowl MVP mention first after receiving the award: God 2-1; team/teammates 2-1; coach 9-1; family 9-1; owner 9-1; Donald Trump 20-1; none of the above 5-2. (It occurred to me God could really fix this bet if He wanted to. Actually, I guess He could fix any of them. OK, moving on...)
• In which quarter will the most points be scored: first 4-1; second 3-2; third 7-2; fourth 5-2.
• First offensive play of the game will be: run 2-3; pass 6-5.
• First points of the game: Patriots touchdown 9-5; Falcons touchdown 2-1; Patriots field goal 3-1; Falcons field goal 7-2; Falcons safety or Patriots safety 20-1.
• Will there be points scored in the final two minutes of the first half: Yes (4-15) is a big favorite over no (11-5).
• Will the game go into overtime: no (1-15) is a big favorite over yes (15-2).
• Will there be a special teams or defensive touchdown: no (1-2) over yes (8-5).
• Over/under on combined team sacks: 4.
• Cross sports: Who will score more, the Patriots or Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook? (Westbrook, averaging 29.6 points, plays at home against Portland.) The Patriots are a slight 1-1.4 favorite.
• Cross sports: What total will be higher, Julio Jones' receiving yards or the Boston Celtics' point total? (Boston, averaging 108.1 points, plays at home against the L.A. Clippers.) The odds are even.
• Cross sports: Who will score more, the Falcons or Toronto's DeMar DeRozan? (DeRozan, averaging 27.9, plays at Brooklyn.) The Falcons are a slight 1-1.4 favorite.
And finally . . .
• Cross sports: What will be higher, the number of Matt Ryan touchdown passes or the goal total in the Leicester vs. Manchester United soccer game? The odds are even.
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with Jeff Schultz and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes. All episodes also can be downloaded and heard on iTunes or via WSBRadio.com. Two new episodes every week.
Recent ramblings from the digital jukebox
- SUPER BOWL: Falcons' Super Bowl win would be perfect ending for Freeney's career
- SUPER BOWL: Falcons' toughest Super Bowl opponent might be stage, not Patriots
- SUPER BOWL: Charles Barkley pulling for pal Freeney and Falcons in Super Bowl
- SUPER BOWL: Jalen Collins' hard road to success is finally paying off
- SUPER BOWL: Todd Prukop, official on non-call in Seattle game, is on Super Bowl crew
- SUPER BOWL: Eugene Robinson understands why he's still Super Bowl talking point
- SUPER BOWL: Falcons, Pats got some help from Cleveland on way to Super Bowl
- SUPER BOWL: Falcons' win and Super Bowl birth crowning moment for owner Arthur Blank
- SUPER BOWL: Pats open as 3-point Super Bowl favorites but I like Falcons' chances
- SUPER BOWL: Never mind legacy: Matt Ryan is proving his greatness now
- Shanahan reads attack -- focused on Falcons, has no deal with 49ers
- Shanahan likely to take 49ers job; Blank spoke to 49ers' York
- Falcons have Arthur Blank dancing (but, fortunately, no Mohawk)
Podcast blog (audio): Tony Gonzalez on career, acting and a Super Bowl for Falcons
- Tony Gonzalez didn't win title but says this is Falcons' time
- Kyle Shanahan could follow in father's footsteps with 49ers ... if he wants to
- Why are Falcons favored? Scoring average in last 6 home games: 35.7
- NFC title set: Falcons' road to Super Bowl not easy but this is game they can win
- Matt Ryan: 99-yard drive, a playoff win and a timely meeting
- Falcons have been transformed into team Atlanta has waited for
- We're about to find out if Falcons' young defense is ready for playoffs
Podcast blog: Morten Andersen on career, Hall snubs, Vick, more
- Falcons get Seahawks again -- and will interference get called this time?
- Want a parade, Atlanta? Falcons are your best hope
- And so it begins: Hawks deal Korver, start their rebuild (podcast added)
- Suddenly, nobody wants the Falcons' Kyle Shanahan to leave
- Where do Quinn-Ryan rank on NFL's list of coach-QBs in playoffs? My list
- Julio Jones: Kiffin's departure is 'small thing' for Saban, Alabama
- Hawks need change and that may mean trading Paul Millsap
- Falcons welcome back Michael Vick, and expect more of this (podcast added)
- Never mind fade vs. Saints, Falcons look like Super Bowl team
- With upset of North Carolina, Pastner has brought pulse to Tech