Coach, player hospitalized after football fight in Savannah

Credit: Jason Getz

Credit: Jason Getz

A Savannah High football coach and player were hospitalized Friday night after a fight broke out on the field in a game between Savannah and Cross Creek of Augusta. The game was called in the third quarter with Cross Creek leading 28-0.

Savannah coach Bud Tolliver told the Savannah Morning News that an assistant coach, whom he did not name, was struck in the head by a helmet and spent Friday night in a hospital.

“I went onto the field to get my guy, and another one of our coaches went out there and one of the players swung a helmet at him and hit him in the head,” Tolliver told the newspaper’s Dennis Knight. “Then there were like five or six players on top of him. It was pretty bad.”

Tolliver said three of his players were ejected, and he thought five or six Cross Creek players were thrown out.

Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools released a statement, obtained by the AJC, stating that one Savannah player was taken to a hospital but did not state his condition. Fighting was contained on the field, the school district said. The statement also said that a coach was struck by a helmet and was injured.

“Within minutes of the affray breaking out, District athletic staff made the decision to call the game in the interest of safety,” the release said.

Earlier this season, Savannah Schools called a game between Jenkins and Benedictine because of unruly fans in the stands.

The statement from Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools:

“Friday evening, September 15, 2023, during a football game between Savannah High and Cross Creek, two players on the opposing teams began to fight on the field. That fight spread and both teams were soon involved.

“As coaches from both teams attempted to break up the fight, a Savannah High coach was injured after being hit with a helmet. Other injuries reported were minor in nature, though we understand one Savannah High players was taken to the hospital for medical evaluation. The fighting was contained to the field. Within minutes of the affray breaking out, District athletic staff made the decision to call the game in the interest of safety.

“Spectators were asked to leave the stadium, two juveniles were briefly taken into custody following an incident in the parking lot, but they have been released to their parents. The majority of the crowd left without incident. No arrests were made.

“SCCPSS regrets that this incident happened. Any of our student-athletes found to have been involved in the fighting on the field will face the appropriate consequences per our Student Code of Conduct.”