The Washington Post suspends reporter after Kobe Bryant tweet Reporter Felicia Sonmez was placed on administrative leave after tweeting a 2016 Daily Beast article regarding Bryant’s 2003 rape case. The Post is in the process of reviewing whether Somnez’s tweets violate their newsrooms’ social media policy. Sonmez tweeted that she received death threats following her initial tweet and called on people to remember public figures “in their totality.” The reporter also shared that she was told her tweet

The Washington Post reinstates reporter after Kobe Bryant tweet

»UPDATE: Kobe Bryant’s pilot asked flight controllers for assistance

Reporter Felicia Sonmez's tweet Sunday, amid widespread public mourning over Bryant's death in a helicopter crash, drew considerable backlash on social media. The Post reported that Sonmez received threats of death and rape and had to move to a hotel after her home address was published online. 

The Post said Sonmez deleted the original tweet at the request of a managing editor. 

She also received an email from executive editor Marty Baron saying: “A real lack of judgment to tweet this. Please stop. You’re hurting this institution by doing this.” Sonmez shared the email with an Associated Press reporter. 

The newspaper issued a statement via Twitter late Tuesday expressing regret about the situation.

 

»MORE: Murals across America honor Kobe Bryant’s legacy

The Tweet circulated by Kristine Coratti Kelly, the vice president of communications for the Post,  suggested that the suspension would be immediately lifted.

Previously, The Post said Sonmez had been placed on paid leave while newsroom managers look into the episode.

Members of the Washington Post Newspaper Guild protested Sonmez's suspension.

They also noted that Sonmez had “received an onslaught of violent messages” and “has gotten insufficient guidance from the Post on how to protect herself.” 

»RELATED: Feds probing chopper maintenance records, pilot history, fog

“We understand the hours after Bryant’s death Sunday were a fraught time to share reporting about past accusations of sexual assault,” Guild members wrote. "The loss of such a beloved figure, and of so many other lives, is a tragedy. But we believe it is our responsibility as a news organization to tell the public the whole truth as we know it — about figures and institutions both popular and unpopular, at moments timely and untimely.” 

»MORE: Why did Kobe Bryant wear two jersey numbers?

Sonmez's controversial tweet linked to a 2016 Daily Beast story titled “Kobe Bryant’s Disturbing Rape Case: The DNA Evidence, the Accuser’s Story, and the Half-Confession.” 

Bryant was accused in 2003 of raping a 19-year-old employee at a Colorado resort. He said the two had consensual sex, and prosecutors later dropped the sexual assault charge at the request of the accuser. The woman filed a civil suit against Bryant that was settled out of court. 

As word got out about Sonmez’s suspension, many people offered words of support on Twitter.

Other Twitter users expressed outrage.

 

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.

X