Here, from National Day Calendar, are several tips on how to stay safe in cyberspace during this online holiday shopping season.
- Enable Windows Update.
- Install and keep running antivirus software.
- Turn on Windows Firewall.
- Keep all software updated.
- Always use strong passwords.
- Don't share passwords and don't write them down.
- A password is required to access your computer.
- Remove unused programs.
- Secure your wireless network.
- Back up critical data.
- Use caution when browsing the internet.
- Periodically remove temporary internet files.
In 2004, the MyDoom virus was first detected and caused $38.5 billion in damage before it was stopped.