15-year-old saves family from fire by staying up late

Raymond Carter may have had a set bedtime, but fortunately for his San Antonio, Texas, family, the 15-year-old boy didn’t adhere to it.

KENS reported that Raymond Carter, 15, was awake at midnight on May 16 when a fire broke out at the family's home.

>> Read more trending stories

Raymond said he was up doing chores when he saw flames coming out of his younger brother's room and alerted his family.

"I'm very proud of my son," Rasheena Carter, his mother, told KENS. "Because without him, we wouldn't be here right now."

Raymond said he remembers waking everyone and getting them out of the house before running to warn his neighbor.

"The chief said we would have died," Carter said, adding praise for her son. "He thought smart, he thought quick and fast."

KENS reported the family with five children was told that the cause was electrical, but without renter’s insurance, the comeback will be tough. "We're staying strong," Carter said. "We're trying to keep our support around us and keeping God first. We're praying."

The family said their landlord charged them a prorated rent for the month and returned their security deposit.