Whether you call it a cup of joe, java or jitter juice, real coffee fans know their stuff. But here are eight things coffee lovers may not know about their favorite drink:
- Cappuccino got its name because of its resemblance to clothes worn by Capuchin monks.
- Espresso literally means "pressed out" in Italian, describing the way espresso drinks are made.
- Forty percent of the world's coffee is produced in Colombia and Brazil.
- At $600 per pound, the world's most expensive coffee is called Kopi Luwak. It's made from coffee beans eaten and then defecated by Sumatran wild civet cats.
- Serena Williams had an espresso shot in the middle of her match with Flavia Pennetta in January 2015. And she won.
- Some research has shown that depending on your metabolism, drinking coffee may help reduce Alzheimer's and Parkinson's in people 65 and older.
- Coffee was discovered by a ninth century Ethiopian shepherd who found his goats so energized that they wouldn't sleep because they were grazing the berries of a certain bush.
- To fatally overdose on coffee, it would take drinking 100 cups.