Police have now arrested seven people in connection with a brutal machete attack on a teen outside a Bronx bodega last week, according to NBC New York.
Lesandro Guzman-Feliz, 15, was pulled out of the Cruz and Chiky grocery Wednesday by members of the Dominican gang Trinitarios, who beat him, hacked him with a machete and left him to die on the sidewalk outside the store in what officials believe was a case of mistaken identity, according to the New York Post.
Police first arrested a 19-year-old from the Bronx on Sunday on charges of second-degree murder, NBC reported.
Six others, between the ages of 18 and 24, were charged overnight Monday in connection with the death of the teenager.
Gang members wrongly believed Guzman-Feliz was in a revenge sex video posted online that featured a relative of one of the attackers, according to the Post.
A leader of the gang later apologized on Facebook for the mistake, according to WPIX.
The teen’s mother said her son was a good boy who had never been in a gang. He was a member of the NYPD Explorers Program for Youth and dreamed of one day becoming a detective, Leandra Feliz told the Post.
“Since he was 5 years old, he told me, ‘Mommy, I want to be a police,’” she said.
A GoFundMe account, set up to help the family pay for funeral expenses and other costs has raised more than $125,000 as of Sunday evening.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.