The Cobb County Board of Education recently received rezoning and annexation approval by the Marietta City Council for a three-story office building.
The annexation involved two-thirds of an acre - a portion of 650/950 South Cobb Drive with its Future Land Use to be classified as Industrial Warehousing for the Cobb County School District.
At 514/540 Glover St., there also will be the renovation and facade upgrade of 44,000 square feet of the current CCSD Central Administration building.
The facade will include mostly brick but also aluminum composite panels on the sides of the building facing a roadway, according to one of the 10 variances.
To the rear, the addition of 60,000 square feet will include the three-story Instructional Support Center.
More variances are:
- Increase the maximum floor area ratio from 0.5 to 0.76.
- Increase the maximum impervious surface area from 75 percent to 85 percent.
- Reduce the side yard setback along the west side from 20 feet to seven feet.
- Reduce the number of required parking spaces from 404 to 136 of which 33 will be partially offsite.
- Waive the 10 planted border and street trees along Glover Street.
- Allow more than 12 parking spaces in a row without a tree island.
- Allow the site’s Tree Density Factor Deficit to be accommodated at an offsite location instead of a payment to the Tree Replacement Fund.
- Waive the five-foot sidewalk requirement along Glover Street.
- Exempt the property from the Commercial Corridor Design Overlay requirements.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.