The former Glenwood Elementary and High School in Winder will receive special recognition later this month.
At 11 a.m. on June 16, the school, one of the state's first public consolidated schools for African Americans, will receive a historical marker from the Georgia Historical Society.
Glenwood, which closed in 1970 and reopened as the integrated Winder-Barrow Middle School, played an important role in the lives of African Americans living in the area.
It was established in 1951 as officials tried to improve segregated schools and, at the same time, preserve segregation by showing the "possibility of maintaining racially-separated public schools," according to the organization.
Dedication of the marker is a collaboration of the Georgia Historical Society, the Glenwood Barrow County
High School Alumni Association, Inc., the Barrow County Board of Education and the Barrow
County Historical Society.