‘America’s Got Talent: Extreme’ injured escape artist will survive, thanks fans on social media

Jonathan Goodwin on "America's Got Talent" in 2020. -- (Photo by: Trae Patton/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images via Getty Images)
Caption
Jonathan Goodwin on "America's Got Talent" in 2020. -- (Photo by: Trae Patton/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images via Getty Images)

Credit: NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via

He got hurt last Thursday at Atlanta Motor Speedway: ‘To death, I say nananana boo boo’

A British escape artist who was seriously injured at Atlanta Motor Speedway last Thursday rehearsing for NBC’s new show “America’s Got Talent: Extreme” appeared on social media Wednesday to tell fans he was recuperating.

“I have been to the very brink and dodged the worst that a human being can without fear,” Goodwin wrote on Instagram, “because I was protected by love. Love is all you need, so make sure you get some, cos it’s good [expletive.]”

He thanked his fans and his family for their support, including his fiancé Amanda.

“To death, I say nananana boo boo,” the 41-year-old self-described “daredevil” wrote. ““There is a long road to recovery... I have a lot left to do in this world. Maybe we can make something good together?”

TMZ retrieved video from the rehearsal last Thursday in Hampton. It showed Goodwin getting out of a straitjacket while hovering upside down 70 feet above the ground. Below him were two vehicles that hit each other and exploded as he was dropping onto an air mattress. It’s unclear if the explosion was deliberate, but TMZ earlier reported that he hit his head when he landed.

He was responsive as he was sent to an area hospital, TMZ said at the time. In the Instagram photo posted Wednesday morning, his right wrist is wrapped and he is sticking his tongue out at the camera from a hospital bed.

Goodwin on his website describes himself as a combination of Houdini and Superman. He reached the semifinals of the regular “America’s Got Talent” last year.

“Goodwin has put himself in the most extreme situations and dodged death each time,” his website says.

Fremantle, the show’s production company, over the weekend said it suspended production of the show for the time being. It did not say when production will resume but they only had a few days left to shoot.

The show began production on Sept. 27 at Atlanta Motor Speedway, using both the speedway itself and surrounding parking lots to do stunts. Simon Cowell is an executive producer and one of the judges. The show, set for eight episodes, features dangerous, potentially life-threatening stunts, in contrast to the singers, comics and dancers on the regular “AGT” show. The winner gets $500,000.

It’s scheduled to air in early 2022.

About the Author

ajc.com

Editors' Picks