A federal judge in Washington, D.C. is being asked to force the State Department to move more swiftly to release emails from Hillary Clinton's time as Secretary of State.
A day after the State Department proposed releasing emails every two months, lawyers for Vice News asked Judge Rudolph Contreras to force the State Department to release emails "on a rolling bi-weekly basis beginning no later than June 30, 2015 and completing no later than January 31, 2016."
"Frequent productions are also important in a case of such “intense” and “considerable” interest to the public," lawyers for reporter Jason Leopold argued in a submission to the court on Wednesday.
The State Department has proposed its next release of Clinton emails for June 30; this counter-proposal accepts that, but argues for email releases every two weeks, instead of every two months.
The emails in question came from the private email server of Clinton, which she used in an unusual arrangement while she was Secretary of State.
The State Department says Clinton turned over about 30,000 emails, comprising an estimated 55,000 pages; the first batch of 296 emails were made public on May 22, dealing with the Benghazi attacks.
"The Department is keenly aware of the intense public interest in the documents and wants to get releasable materials out as soon as possible," the State Department told the judge earlier this week in a court filing, signaling that it will devote "further resources to accommodate the additional effort" to make multiple releases.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.