And finally, attention is being given to the best beverage to pair with barbecue. The options are endless, but Southern Living has narrowed it down:
The South’s five best barbecue beverages
5. Beer: Whether you're in the mood for a local favorite or a craft variety, you can’t go wrong with cold suds.
4. Big Red soda: Made in Texas since 1937, the soft drink is recognized as the No. 1 selling red soda. This super-sweet cream soda is a surprisingly smooth companion.
3. Red Rock strawberry soda: Bottled in Atlanta, a city where Coca-Cola rules, the beverage has managed to make quite the impression. The Red Rock line includes cola and ginger ale, but the strawberry version seems to be a favorite.
2. Cheerwine: It's the official drink of the National Barbecue Association and has been quenching thirsts for more than 100 years. The cherry-flavored soft drink plays nicely with smoky barbecue.
1. Sweet tea: No matter how you prefer your barbecue, there’s no arguing when it comes to the house wine of the South.