The U.S. Department of Education announced Wednesday that the Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology has been named a Blue Ribbon school for the first time since it opened in 2007.
The prestigious honor recognizes schools for their overall academic excellence or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. The Gwinnett school, located near Lawrenceville, is one of 329 across the country this year to receive the honor.
On Tuesday, data released by the state’s education department showed the school had the highest average composite SAT score of any public school in Georgia. It is typically ranked the best public school in the state by publications such as U.S. News and World Report.
“Our students work so very hard in the classroom, in the lab, and at home to master a curriculum that is intertwined with career exploration, problem solving, and deep, creative thinking,” principal IV Bray said in a statement.
- Calvary Day School, a private school in Savannah
- Jacob G. Smith Elementary School in Savannah
- Midway Elementary School in Pierce County
- Morningside Elementary School in Atlanta
- Mount Bethel Elementary in Cobb County
- Newton County Theme School at Ficquett
- St. Joseph Catholic School in Marietta
- St. Thomas More Catholic School in Atlanta
- Sharon Elementary School in Forsyth County
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.