Valentine’s Day romance will soon fill the air. Now is the time to think of ways to tell that special someone just how special he or she really is. While chocolates and flowers are nice, adding a little spice in the form of a romantic couple’s getaway makes for a truly memorable occasion. These destinations offer special packages for indulging your romantic senses in beautiful, plush surroundings.
Little St. Simons Island
Little St. Simons Island, located off the coast of Georgia, is a particularly alluring destination for lovers during the month of February. This natural sanctuary, accessible via boat from St. Simons Island, offers an intimate atmosphere in which to enjoy a Valentine’s couples escape.
Couples can rekindle their romance on Little St. Simons’ 10,000 pristine acres and 7 miles of deserted beaches. Stay in one of the island’s inviting guest houses or cottages, some featuring fireplaces and screened porches. Venture out together for a boating, kayaking, birding, fishing or biking excursion. Because there are never more than 32 guests on the island, a sense of solitude permeates most every area.
Sensational cuisine is a highlight of Little St. Simons Island visits with meals served family style in the Hunting Lodge, according to Jane Bozza, public relations representative for the island.
Rates include the boat trip to and from the island, accommodations, three daily meals, evening cocktail reception and unlimited use of all Island amenities and activities. Specify the Little St. Simons Island romance package that includes champagne upon arrival.
● Little St. Simons Island. Overnight rates begin at $625 per night, double occupancy. 1000 Hampton Point Drive, 866-855-1193, www.littlessi.com
● Don’t miss: Naturalist-led island excursions, conducted in a small-group setting, will kindle a love of the island’s natural environment.
Barnsley Gardens, Adairsville
Bask in Old World luxury and charm this Valentine’s weekend at Barnsley Gardens. Upon this property in the 1840s, Godfrey Barnsley began construction of an Italianate villa and ornate gardens for his wife, Julia. But Barnsley’s love would never live in the house he built for her as Julia fell ill and died before the project was completed.
Purchased and restored in 1988, the historic grounds now feature 37 guest cottages inspired by the work of Downing, as well as an 18-hole championship golf course, three restaurants and a full-service spa.
Lovers can experience all that Barnsley Gardens offers, along with a few added features for the holiday. It all begins Feb. 12 with Uncork & Unwind, a complimentary wine reception and soothing chair massages. On Feb. 12 and 13, couples will enjoy a romantic dinner at the Rice House, the property’s restaurant ($80 per person, tax and gratuity additional; alcoholic beverages not included). Long-stemmed roses and a champagne toast end the evening.
● Barnsley Gardens, Adairsville. Rates begin at $199 per night for a “Warm Winter Romance” package that includes overnight accommodations, breakfast for two and a pink champagne turndown. 597 Barnsley Gardens Road, Adairsville. 877-773-2447, www.barnsleyresort.com
● Don’t miss: Take a nighttime carriage to the Ruins by Firelight for a champagne toast or hot chocolate under the stars.
Wild Dunes Resort, Isle of Palms, S.C.
Wild Dunes beckons you to skip the flowers and candy this year, and set your sights a bit higher. Romantic Valentine’s packages in this seaside resort are what they have in mind. Enjoy special rates and features Feb. 12-14.
Located near the historic city of Charleston, Wild Dunes Resort offers luxury accommodations, fine dining and golf in a beach atmosphere. Couples can enjoy an overnight stay in the property’s AAA Four Diamond Boardwalk Inn featuring guest robes, plush bedding, deluxe bath amenities, flat-screen televisions and more. Ease into your stay with a bottle of champagne upon arrival.
Customize your package by selecting optional features such as breakfast for two at the Sea Island Grill, a 25-minute massage at the Sand & Sea spa, or daylong bicycle rentals for a day of island explorations.
● Wild Dunes Resort. Rates for this package begin at $169 per night. 5757 Palm Blvd., Isle of Palms. 888-778-1876, www.wilddunes.com
● Don’t miss: Take a trip into historic downtown Charleston for a romantic carriage ride. Book a private carriage tour at Palmetto Carriage Works, 40 N Market St., Charleston. 843-723-8145
The Homestead, Hot Springs, Va.
The grand atmosphere of The Homestead luxury resort makes for an elegant getaway any time of year, but the romantic aspects of this destination are particularly emphasized during Valentine’s weekend.
The Homestead will offer the 1766 Valentine’s Weekend Package. Starting at $1,766 (plus resort fee & taxes), couples can enjoy a two-night stay in a Homestead or Preferred Homestead Suite.
A bottle of wine or champagne and flowers will be waiting in your room upon arrival. Enhance your romantic mood by slipping into plush robes and enjoy a couple’s massage. Satisfy your sense of adventure with access to unlimited activities such as skiing, ice skating and hayrides. For your dining pleasure, this package includes breakfast for two each morning and one dinner for two in the main dining room.
● The Homestead. Rates start at $1,766 (plus resort fee & taxes) 1766 Homestead Drive. 540-839-1766, www.thehomestead.com
● Don’t miss: Godiva Chocolate Liqueur Tastings will be offered Valentine’s weekend.
Provided by Demand Studios