Fire in the Tabernacle’s attic was caused by mechanical failure

The Tabernacle

The Tabernacle

The Atlanta Fire Rescue Department extinguished a small fire at the Tabernacle Monday morning.

The fire, which was in the attic’s duct system, filled the space with smoke, Atlanta fire spokesman Sgt. Cortez Stafford said. Crews used water extinguishers to douse the fire after a call came in around 9:25 a.m. through a smoke alarm activation.

Luckie Street was temporarily blocked between Centennial Olympic Park and Ted Turner drives as crews worked in downtown Atlanta.

READ | Renovations planned for vacant Midtown building with big peach atop it

READ | Lists shows Atlanta Uber riders have lost golf clubs, a wedding band

Andrew Jeon, the popular music venue's marketing Manager, said the fire was caused by a minor mechanical failure in one of the heating strips. It didn't cause any damage other than the need to replace the heating strip and holes caused by the fire department needing access to the duct, he said.

A few maintenance employees and members of a subcontracted HVAC company were on site during the fire, but no injuries or smoke inhalation were reported, according to Jeon.

“We would like to thank Atlanta Fire for responding the alarm so quickly and for acting swiftly to resolve,” he said.

There will be no interruption of show schedule and the venue will resume normal business operations Tuesday, Jeon said. The next show scheduled at the venue is singer Mat Kearney on Friday.

Like Intown Atlanta News Now on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

In other news:

About the Author