Here's Severe Weather Team 2's chief meteorologist Glenn Burns with a look at your Wednesday evening forecast.

WEATHER-TRAFFIC UPDATE: Lots of red lights visible on interstates during cluttered commute

On the roads, the color red is never what you want to see, but Atlanta drivers are seeing a ton of it Wednesday during the evening commute.

Most of the Perimeter, Downtown Connector, I-75 in Cobb County and I-85 in Gwinnett County are all moving slowly, according to the WSB 24-hour Traffic Center.

Photo: WSB 24-hour Traffic Center

I-20 drivers also haven’t been spared, since two eastbound lanes are blocked before I-285 in DeKalb by a crash, according to the Traffic Center.

A Henry County crash previously blocked several I-75 South lanes near Ga. 20, according to the Traffic Center. The wreck has been moved to the right shoulder, but heavy delays linger.

A gas leak previously shut down Collins Hill Road between Old Peachtree Road and Collins Glen Court in Gwinnett County, according to the fire department. The leak was capped and the road reopened just after 5:45 p.m.

MORE: Gwinnett street closed by gas leak, hazmat team on scene


In north Fulton, sinkhole repair has shut down a right lane and a turn lane on State Bridge Road before Medlock Bridge Road in Johns Creek. Authorities have not provided an estimated clearance time, the Traffic Center reported. Drivers can use Abbotts Bridge or Old Alabama roads as alternates.


Feel all that muggy, sticky air? That’s going to lead to some pretty wet weather for North Georgia by the weekend, according to Channel 2 Action News. 

Humidity is on the rise Wednesday and it is taking the rain chances with it. Channel 2 meteorologist Brian Monahan said there is a low 20 percent chance metro Atlanta could see some isolated showers today, but the end of the week will be rainy.

“By Saturday, you are really going to feel the mugginess ahead of a cold front,” he said. “That’s going to send tropical moisture our way, and you know what that means as we head into your weekend? That’s going to mean some really wet and really soggy weather.”


So far, Wednesday has been mainly dry with summerlike conditions. 

“If we get a sprinkle or shower, it is going to be pretty quick stuff,” Monahan said.


Atlanta shot past the predicted high of 84 degrees, peaking at 86, Channel 2 reported. That’s eight degrees above average for this time of year.

“It’s going to feel like June again this afternoon,” Monahan said. “Near-normal temperatures by the weekend as some rain comes in.”

A 40 percent chance of rain Thursday and a 60 percent chance Friday is expected to drop afternoon highs a few degrees, according to Channel 2. 


Pollen levels are no longer in the high range. The count for Wednesday is 69, and trees including hickory, birch, pine, oak and sedges are the top contributors. Grass pollen is also considered to be in the moderate range, and weed pollen is low, according to Atlanta Allergy and Asthma, the organization that tracks the daily pollen count. 


Rain moving toward Georgia could help to drop those numbers even lower. 

“We've got a cold front moving in — this is that tropical moisture headed our way — and by Thursday afternoon and evening, the rain and storm chance is really going to go up,” Monahan said. “It’s not going to affect your morning commute Thursday. By Friday morning, we could have a few showers around.”


The rain really cranks up for the weekend with a 70 percent chance of showers and storms both days, according to the latest forecast. Before the week is up, North Georgia could get another 1 to 2 inches of rain.

Mountain counties could see even more accumulation, Monahan said. 


“Settle in for what is going to be a pretty wet weekend across North Georgia,” he said.

» For a detailed forecast, visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution weather page.

» For updated traffic information, listen to News 95.5 and AM 750 WSB and follow @ajcwsbtraffic on Twitter. 

» Download The Atlanta Journal-Constitution app for weather alerts on-the-go.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. Atlanta. News. Now.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. Atlanta. News. Now.