Tips on filing insurance claims for home, car damage

Following severe storms that tore through North Georgia Monday, the state insurance commissioner’s office Tuesday morning offered these tips on reporting home or car damage claims:

- Contact your insurance agent immediately. Your agent should provide you with claims forms and arrange for an insurance adjuster to visit your property or look at your automobile. 

- Take into account that hail damage to your car is typically covered by the comprehensive/collision portion of car insurance, and hail damage to your home is covered by homeowners insurance.

While there were no reports of injuries, storms tore through this subdivision off Jumpers Trail in Fairburn. JOHN SPINK / JSPINK@AJC.COM

- Secure your property to protect against more damage, and keep receipts of materials used for repairs. Your insurance company will reimburse you for repair costs.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Chicago hospital shooting: Multiple victims reported
  2. 2 Cutting carbs instead of calories keeps weight off, study says
  3. 3 Robber shoots gas station clerk before demanding cash, witnesses say

- Consider that a typical homeowners policy does not cover removal of downed trees unless the tree falls on a covered structure, such as the house. 

- Insurance companies will generally allow claims adjusters to write checks for additional living expenses to victims on the spot. Contact your agent for details. 

- Decide between getting cash back for covered damage to contents or getting a replacement. Most policies provide an option.

For more information, call the insurance commissioner’s consumer services line at 404-656-2070 or 1-800-656-2298. Phone lines are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.

More from AJC