Witnesses say the man and his girlfriend were in a “heated argument” after their shopping excursion went over the five-hour mark.
The man wanted to leave the mall, but the woman said she wanted to go to one more store, a shoe store.
That was all Tao Hsiao could take, so he threw down his bags and jumped over a railing, falling seven floors to his death in the Xuzhou mall in east China.
One witness told The Mail Online the argument came down to the shoes.
"He told her she already had enough shoes, more shoes that she could wear in a lifetime and it was pointless buying any more," the eyewitness noted.
"She started shouting at him, accusing him of being a skinflint and of spoiling Christmas."
More Trending Headlines
- Atlanta Delta pilot becomes inadvertent Internet darling after actress tweet
- Sexually explicit scene shocks families at 'Frozen' showing
- Urban Meyer's BCS argument comes back to haunt him
- Help make a boy’s Christmas wish come true: Send him mail
- "Wildly provocative" post birth selfie causing grief for new mother
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.