What you should know for Monday, August 24:
1. The three Americans — a college student and two servicemen — who thwarted a train attack in France were awarded that country's Legion of Honor medal. [See photos from the ceremony here]
2. Falcons wide receiver Roddy White will undergo elbow surgery today for the removal of loose bodies in the right joint that caused swelling. [Click here to learn if it will affect the season opener]
3. In college football: Georgia Tech is ranked 16 in the Associated Press preseason poll. But where did Georgia land? [Click here to find out]
4. The former Floyd County deputy killed Saturday in a suicide car bombing in Afghanistan was once named "father of the year," nominated by his daughters. [Read more about Barry Sutton here]
5. The sunshine returns, and with it higher temperatures. Expect today to be near 90, with a 10 percent chance of rain. [See the full forecast here]
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.