DeKalb County’s oldest residents will soon have a new option to improve their health: free water fitness classes at their local YMCA.
These classes will be free for seniors who are registered at one of the county’s senior centers, and transportation will be included. Most of the county’s senior centers don’t have swimming pools, so the new program will help double the county’s water fitness program capacity for seniors.
The one-year program will include water safety education, water fitness and water aerobics classes. They will be held weekdays between the hours of 9 a.m. and 11 a.m., although classes will vary by location.
The county says it has room for 200 seniors to participate. The YMCA partners include:
- Cowart Family YMCA, 3692 Ashford Dunwoody Road, in Brookhaven, 30319;
- Decatur Family YMCA, 1100 Clairemont Avenue, in Decatur, 30030;
- East Lake Family YMCA, 275 Eva Davis Way SE, in Atlanta, 30317;
- South DeKalb Family YMCA, 2565 Snapfinger Road, in Decatur, 30034;
- Wade Walker Park Family YMCA, 5605 Rockbridge Road SW, in Stone Mountain, 30088.
DeKalb residents interested in signing up for the new water wellness partnership can visit their usual senior center or call (770) 322-2941.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.