Baby dies in Barrow County house fire

Fire that killed Barrow child caused by electrical problem, officials determine

Fire officials in Barrow County said Friday that an early Wednesday house fire that killed an 18-month-old girl was likely caused by an “electrical failure” in the home.

Four people were injured in the blaze, which was reported about 2:15 a.m. near the intersection of Moon Bridge Road and Rockwell Church Road, according to Barrow fire Lt. Scott Dakin.

Dakin told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that when firefighters arrived, four residents had already gotten out of the house, apparently by jumping from a second-floor window.

A 50-year-old man, a 22-year-old woman and a 16-year-old female were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment of burns. Another adult was treated at a local hospital and released, Dakin said.

The toddler’s body was recovered late Wednesday morning.

The fire started in the sun room and dining room area of the home, where the child was sleeping, Dakin said Friday.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.