DeKalb student still recovering from severe burns after chemistry experiment

A 15-year-old student is still in a hospital recovering, days after a chemistry lab experiment left him with third-degree burns all over his body. 

Malachi McFadden was severely burned Tuesday during a fire in his chemistry class at Redan High School in Stone Mountain, AJC.com previously reported.

RELATED: DeKalb high school student burned during chemistry lab experiment

"He’s still in intensive care," attorney Chris Stewart told Channel 2 Action News. “It’s a really bad situation.” McFadden’s family hired Stewart to represent them after they could not get information about the incident from the school, the news station reported. 

The fire happened on the second day of classes in DeKalb County. The teen’s teacher reportedly conducted an experiment by lighting a dollar bill on fire. 

"The fire went out of control as expected because there was ethanol in the bowl," Stewart told Channel 2. "And instead of putting water on it to put it out, allegedly the teacher grabbed a jar of ethanol and threw it into the bowl."

It is unclear how long the teacher has worked at the school. 

McFadden was rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.

"Third-degree burns to his face, his head, his arms, full body," Stewart said. “Over 10% third-degree burns. It's horrific.”

DeKalb County Schools told the news station the situation is under investigation. The district also said a school nurse went to the hospital with McFadden and school counselors provided support to students who witnessed the incident. 

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.