WEATHER-TRAFFIC UPDATE: Scattered storms enter Atlanta

ATLANTA FORECAST  

Wednesday: High: 87

Wednesday night: Low: 70

Thursday: High: 87

» For a detailed forecast, visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution weather page.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Ronald Acuna is the superstar Braves - and baseball - needed
  2. 2 NFL news: Bills' LeSean McCoy and ex reach agreement on eviction
  3. 3 8 kids taken to hospital after Life Time pool issue in North Fulton

A few scattered thunderstorms have entered north metro Atlanta around Cherokee and Gwinnett counties, Channel 2 Action News reported.

That has helped contribute to traffic delays across the northern Perimeter.

A vehicle fire in Fulton County on I-285 near Riverside Drive previously blocked two lanes, according to the WSB 24-hour Traffic Center. The wreck has now been cleared, but delays linger.

Another I-285 accident in DeKalb County near Peachtree International Boulevard has blocked three lanes, causing major delays, the Traffic Center reported. 

The complex of storms moving into the area is bringing winds of up to 40 mph, heavy rain and infrequent lightning strikes, Channel 2 Action News Chief meteorologist Glenn Burns said.

Even though Wednesday carries the highest chance of showers and storms this week, it’s not likely the rain will be widespread.

“You'll see some spots that will miss it today, but it’s going to be hot and steamy everywhere,” Channel 2 meteorologist Karen Minton said.

It’s currently 87 degrees in Atlanta.

“Where we do get (storms), they could be quite strong,” Minton said. “The storm prediction center does not have us in an organized severe mode, but any of those storms that develop today could get close to it with heavy downpours, lightning and strong to damaging winds.”

On the bright side, the chance of rain is expected to go down as the week progresses. 

Today’s 60 percent chance drops to 40 percent Thursday and Friday. Heading into the weekend, Minton said it should be hot and mostly dry with temps in the lower 90s and a 20 percent chance of rain Saturday and Sunday. So there’s no need to cancel those Father’s Day plans.

 

» For updated traffic information, listen to News 95.5 and AM 750 WSB and follow @ajcwsbtraffic on Twitter. 

» Download The Atlanta Journal-Constitution app for weather alerts on-the-go.

More from AJC