Parts of metro Atlanta and much of North Georgia are under a heat advisory, and a quick step outside will show you why.
Atlanta is 94 degrees at the moment, but coupled with a dew point in the low 70s, it feels like is it at least 100 degrees outside, according to Channel 2 Action News. The temperature hit 96 degrees earlier in the afternoon, missing the record high by only 2 degrees.
The advisory, which was issued Monday morning for South Georgia, was expanded to include more Georgia counties at noon. The advisory continues through 8 p.m. Monday, according to the National Weather Service.
While the heat won’t impact traffic, wrecks definitely will, and a few problem areas have sprung up, the WSB 24-hour Traffic Center reported.
A crash on the southbound Downtown Connector has two left lanes blocked near Ga. 166, according to the Traffic Center.
On the Perimeter, a right inner loop lane is blocked at Peachtree Industrial Boulevard by a crash, according to the Traffic Center.
Monday has been one of those days where it is hard to get comfortable, Channel 2 meteorologist Brian Monahan said.
It’s the middle of summertime, and true to form, North Georgia is really hot.
Monday is the 50th 90-degree day in 2019. While that count is well above the average 37 days in the 90s per year, Atlanta still has a way to go to beat the record. In 2011, the city recorded 90 days of 90-degree heat.
“When it gets that hot, your body just cannot fight against that, cannot cool itself off,” Monahan said. “So please, especially in those areas, limit your time outside. Heat stress, heat stroke very much a concern on a day like today.”
A 30% chance of rain is forecast to decrease into the overnight hours, but an overnight sprinkle or two is possible.
“Won’t be a whole lot but where you get them, some brief heavy rain,” he said. “Really going to make it feel more steamy than anything across North Georgia where we get those storms late this afternoon.”
Tuesday morning should also start dry, and afternoon highs in the mid-90s are the forecast. But relief from the heat is in sight. Changes in the weather pattern will usher in better chances of rain and slightly cooler air later this week, Monahan said.
“Is it cold? No. Is it cool? No,” he said. “But it’s cooler than it has been by Wednesday.”
Wednesday’s projected high is 92 degrees with a 60% chance of storms, according to the latest forecast. Showers and storms are 40% likely for Thursday, then Monahan said North Georgia will dry out for the weekend.
» For a detailed forecast, visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution weather page.
» For updated traffic information, listen to News 95.5 and AM 750 WSB and follow @ajcwsbtraffic on Twitter.
» Download The Atlanta Journal-Constitution app for weather alerts on-the-go.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
With the largest team in the state, the AJC reports what’s really going on with your tax dollars and your elected officials. Subscribe today. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.
Your subscription to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.